Begin the trek early at 7 AM to ensure that you get back before nightfall when the wildlife roam the trail. Walk through forests along mountain slopes, across ridges on to steep climbs and onwards plateaus. Few things bring joy like the sense of achievement one feels after a long arduous trek. However, when such a trek takes you through the Brahmagiri Hills, valleys and forests to the depths of mystic caves, the pleasures are manifold! Our guide is well-versed in the history and folklore of the area and will have the necessary forest entry permits ready for you. Remember to maintain silence so as to not frighten the birds and animals in the surroundings.
In the afternoon descent into the depths of the caves. It is an experience like no other, unique in its ancient history of meditating Yogis and its current status as home to a large number of birds including the Edible-nest Swiflet! See bats on the cave walls, and observe how the rocks are laid out to make this maze of caves. Take in the quiet splendour of the place and understand why this peaceful place was perfect for Ascetics to seek something as elusive as Nirvana!
Head back to civilisation before dusk and end with a stop at the ancient Vishnu temple at Thirunelli, which is is famed for its architecture. The best part about this remote temple is that you are still inside the forest and surrounded by mountains! Our guide will regale you with temple history and legends on the way back!
- All forest entry and other Permit fees
- First Aid kit
- English Speaking Guide
- Transportation (We can provide for extra cost with pick-up from anywhere in Wayanad)
- Photography charges if any
- Personal expenses
- Service Tax
- Book for a minimum of 2 people and a maximum of 30
- Special discount rate for groups of more than 4 people
- Duration – 7 hours
- Available around the year but best during monsoon
- Packed meal can be provided at an extra charge
- Remember to not make noise to disturb the animals and birds
- Do not leave behind any plastic as this is a plastic-free zone
- Begin trek by 7:00 – 7:30 AM
- Return before dusk as the animals tend to roam the area at nightfall
- Activity level – Hard but suitable for families
- Current security concerns may require us to re-route some treks in Wayanad & the description above may vary
- Trek to the summit may be restricted by the Forest Department to protect nesting birds and rare orchids
- We start the trek from a slightly lower point and go up to the lake lake to ensure a good trekking experience.
THINGS TO CARRY & WHAT TO WEAR
- Cap, sunscreen
- Trekking shoes or jungle boots
- Water bottles
- Electric torch with extra battery cells
Wayanad->Meenangadi-Panamaram road->Kalpetta-Mananthavadi Road->Panamaram->Cherukattoor->Kattikkulam->Appappara->Thirunelly Road->Thirunelly bus stop->Thirunelly Temple (meeting Point )